Our club was honored by the Rancho Cordova City Council on March 16, 2020 with a Proclamation for Women’s History Month. Scroll to 31:40 minutes into the video to watch the presentation.
This is the video shown to city council members https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OujdkvqoTrc
We have made the very difficult decision to postpone our bunco fundraiser, not cancel. We were trying very hard to take every measure to protect the health of our participants to offer this bit of fun and escape from the madness and mania that Covid-19 and the media has created. But when we found out that our insurance would not cover any fundraisers, events or activities until at least April 15, perhaps longer, the financial risk that our executive board could potentially be burdened with was too much to bear. While I feel fairly certain that our loyal bunco supporters would not sue us if you became ill, I’m not as certain that your families would feel the same way, if you were too ill to provide direction to provide direction. Additionally, only 7 people have committed to attend either by buying a ticket or RSVPing that they’ll pay at the door. Our club doesn’t have the funds to absorb that much of a loss.
This decision breaks our heart, but it is the most responsible decision. If you have already purchased your ticket(s), we’d love it if we could hang on to it until the rescheduled date is announced, and we’ll apply what you’ve paid to the new date and we’ll give you five free raffle tickets for sticking with us. If you’re unable to attend on the new date, we will absolutely refund your purchase. If you’d rather get your money back now, we’re happy to do that too.
Thank you for your understanding. We hope to have bunco fun with you in late April or sometime in May.
Since Soroptimist Int’l of Rancho Cordova & Gold River was chartered on August 1, 2009, we have made incredible impact to local communities and the world. Here is evidence of that impact:
- Over 244 homeless teen girls are passing their P.E. classes because they are no longer ashamed to change into their P.E. uniforms, allowing their peers to see their beautiful new undergarments and are doing better in school in general, because of their higher self-esteem and confidence, due to the new bras and panties we bought for them, over the last 9 years.
- Over 1225 domestic violence survivors, over the last 9 years, feel more normal and loved because they received one of our Comfort Kits.
- Over 325 children of domestic violence survivors, over the last 6 years, also “felt the love” and are also able to restart their young lives with their very own Comfort Kid kit.
- Approximately 100 girls per year, since 2014, stayed in school, rather than be sent home with menstrual cramps, because 15 minutes of using a heating pad, that we provided to the school nurses at both Cordova and Kinney High schools, relieved their discomfort enough so they could return to class. That’s 500 girls!
- A total of 200 kindergartners and 1st graders, over 2 years, had personal time with Santa, received 2 free 5×7 portraits with Santa, a Christmas party and a book as a gift, who would have ordinarily been denied this holiday tradition because of their family’s extreme poverty in December 2012 and 2013.
- Over 750 girls won’t be a target of traffickers due to the hundreds of Dress a Girl Around the World dresses that we helped make between 2015 and 2016.
- LYD awards have been awarded to 14 women over 10 years!
- Ruby awards have been awarded to 10 women over 10 years!
- Dan Skoglund Memorial Awards have been awarded to 3 women in 1st year, 2019
- Violet Richardson awards have been awarded to 5 girls from 2009 to 2014!
- We’ve helped make 15 homeless high school senior girls, over 3 years, feel like a princess for their Senior Ball, with a new dress and shoes, mani/pedi, hairstyling and makeup consultation. These girls would have missed this high school tradition and memory, if not for our club’s assistance.
- We raised enough money to buy 40 Solar Cookers for Sudanese families through Governor Kay’s “Kay’s Cookers” campaign
- “Adopted” 14 homeless teen moms and their children for Christmas since 2017.
- Gave one of our Comfort Kits to a homeless teen girl who was in crisis in 2015.
TOTAL LIVES CHANGED/IMPROVED 2009-2019: 3,350
Wow! I can’t believe how much we’ve done in our club’s 10-year existence with only 5-6 members a year on average!
If you shop at Amazon.com, please remember to shop via smile.amazon.com/ch/27-0598800, which will support our club. Amazon will donate to our club a portion of purchases! It costs nothing extra to you, and works whether you’re an Amazon Prime member or not.